I have some more pictures of some of the squares. The project has become a bit of a blur, so I’m not even sure who did what anymore. I’m sure that I’ll track the creators down eventually.
The last square shown here was the last one to come in. I know that Jeri did that one, filling in for one of the ladies whose life had become a tad busier than expected.
Jeri and Joy helped assemble these last squares into a strip, and then we switched off seaming that strip to the part that had already been seamed.
Once that was done, we had to think about how to finish it off. The consensus was that it would be a good idea to add a crocheted border to add some stability to the blanket. Micki came to the rescue with a border technique that she had used before on a number of crocheted afghans. I was very impressed with the way that she played with the crocheted border to come up with the right gauge for the border. After figuring out how many stitches per inch we would need, she demonstrated how to do the Reverse Single-Crochet (or Crab Stitch) border.
Now, my mother taught me how to crochet and knit. She approached knitting and crocheting the way she did just about everything else… straight-forward, no frills. So she never taught me Reverse Crochet. I didn’t even think it was possible. Fortunately, Micki’s experience was more extensive.
So on Saturday, I sat down with the blanket and worked on the border. I wasn’t sure that I was doing it right until I was half-way around. The result is impressive. The border is extremely stable, with almost no stretchiness.
The last installment in this series will relate the reaction of the lucky recipient. I really hope that she thinks that the blanket is as special as I do.