On more than one occasion, the ladies in my knitting group have been convinced that I’ve lost my mind. I knit goofy things. Most of them aren’t practical at all!
I’m weird that way. I rarely knit anything for myself. Most of my knitted items go to my daughter and friends. I get my enjoyment from knitting the items, seeing my daughter’s eyes light up when they’re finished, and seeing the reactions of others.
Well, if my friends have thought I’ve gone a little bonkers before, they’re REALLY going to think I’ve lost it with this one!
This little guy comes from a pattern from a new designer to me: Jelly Bums. She has a growing number of non-felted critters. I chose to do the monkey for the first one as a gift for a friend who wanted a knitted monkey.
This little guy turned out smaller than I expected he would. According to the pattern, the finished item is supposed to be 4″ tall. Mine turned out 3″ tall! The pattern called for DK weight yarn, and I used worsted weight (Wool of the Andes). I’ve been doing some major head-scratching, trying to figure out how mine came out so much smaller. The pattern did not include a specified gauge, so I suspect that I knit MUCH more tightly than the designer.
I did make a couple modifications to the original pattern. I knitted both arms using magic loop and the tail using i-cord. There was no way in the world that I was going to knit and seam a 4-6 stitch wide tube and seam it! I also added some rows to the body and arm length because the number of rows noted in the pattern would have left me with a 2.5″ tall monkey!
He’s a cutie, though, and I can’t wait to give him to my friend. I’ve no doubt that she will love him!